Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh great, it's Valentine's Day.


I hate Valentine's Day. It's just a huge money-grab, plus it encourages bad relationship stereotypes (guilt-tripping, selfish girlfriend, emasculated wimpy boyfriend). Luckily today is my day off from both school and work, so I can huddle in my house and avoid the hearts and flowers.

However, I do have two awesome recommendations to make, and since they're both romance-themed, I thought I'd share them on this silly holiday.

The first is a song I discovered yesterday. It's by Hedley, a band I've never been overly fond of, but they are local and successful so I have no problem supporting them. Anyway, this song is adorable. I listen to it with a huge smile on my face the whole time. Plus the lyrics are pretty genius. I have a feeling it's going to inspire me a lot when I write love scenes in the future.




The other recommendation I have is for the sweetest, most romantic, most cutesy book I've probably ever read.

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins.

Yeah, you've probably heard of it. For good reason: it's incredible. Stephanie perfectly captured what it feels like to have a crush on someone you shouldn't and what it's like to be shy and nervous in a new place. Anna is the most hilarious protagonist ever, and unlike many YA girl protagonists, I really like her. She's completely relatable, and I found myself wishing she were real so I could be friends with her. And the love interest, Etienne/St. Clair? Omg don't get me started. My best friend and I have this, ahem, standard we look for in boys and it's summed up by the love interest from Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries, Michael Moskovitz. Whenever I have my eye on a boy, I tell her "he's pretty much my Michael Moskovitz."

Well, now? Now I sometimes switch it up to "he's pretty much my Etienne St. Clair."

That is how much this book rocks. It's impacted the way I creep on hot guys. It's a big deal.

I'm so excited for Stephanie's new book, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, which will be released later this year!

Anyway, I'll leave you with this picture of me spending Valentine's Day alone with the gorgeous Etienne a book. Happy V-Day, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. yay for anna! such an awesome book, le sigh.
    ha, you look so cute with your copy of it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeheehee, I look way too happy xD Gah, it's so amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. This is on my to-read list. Sounds great. Nice to meet you. I am a fellow crusader, and it looks like we are in the same "group."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margo! I'm a new follower over at your blog :) I totally recommend Anna and the French Kiss, it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd stop by and say hello since we're in the same Crusader group! And thanks for the book recommendations. Books — especially YA — are like crack to me so I need to constantly feed the addiction with good stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, crusader! We're in the same group!

    I keep on hearing about that French Kiss book but I don't get why it's amazing (don't hate me). Then again, I'm not really into romance stuff. Looking forward to reading your blog in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a member of your Crusade group, stopping by to say hi!

    I totally agree with your thoughts about Valentines Day. Hope you survived it. Now you have more than 350 days until you have to face next year's extravaganza! =)

    I have "Anna and..." on hold at the library, but I'm number 5 in line, so I probably won't get it for a little while. Glad to hear that you liked it, though! I can't wait to read it.

    See you around!

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete