Monday, July 12, 2010

It doesn't suck!

Last night I continued my read-through of my recently finished first draft. I picked up where I'd left off, about halfway through, and read for a couple hours straight through to the end.

And... the verdict?

It doesn't suck.

I'm beyond thrilled. Seriously, I'm totally stoked. I always get this bad case of second draft jitters where I'm convinced that everything that I remembered being good about the novel in the first draft was actually just an illusion and all I have is a stack of barely-strung-together words.

But my first read-through was good. There was no panic, no OMG HOW AM I GOING TO FIX THIS PILE OF CRAP. I know exactly what I need to fix. I need more scenes with a certain character. I need more setting details. I need a much better first chapter, since this one kind of sucks. I basically need to spice up the first half of the novel.

But... that's all. No existential angsting, not like with the last WIP.

I'm counting myself extremely lucky this time around.

3 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOO - you're first draft read through was WAYYY better than mine, haha. I pretty much went up in flames and crashed super fast and hard. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I kind of crashed hard after realizing the first chapter was pretty much crap xD But it's going well now

    ReplyDelete