Monday, July 5, 2010

In My Mailbox (2)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren (and if you aren't a devotee of her blog already... why the eff not?!)

Today is a very special IMM post. It comes not only with the list of books I acquired/obtained in recent days, but it also contains a rant at the end. So, without any further ado...

Got from the library:
Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Bought:
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

So. Normal IMM stuff aside, here's the little rant.

I just got back from Walmart. This is not an anti-Walmart rant. I actually love Walmart. I live in a small town. We've only had our Walmart for four years and the novelty has not worn off yet. It's really fun to just hang out there, walk around, look at CDs and the DVD bargain bins. You always run into at least a few people you know. And you get to know all the people who work there, too. Plus this town is always lousy with tourists, so there are a lot of goofy-looking yuppies at the local Walmart, and that's always fun to laugh at.

It hasn't really killed local businesses. Our Walmart is a great social shopping experience in town.

Anyway. I love the book section at Walmart. By no means is there an amazing selection. It can be pretty abysmal, actually. Shitty romance novels, shitty Twilight novels, shitty detective novels, shitty celebrity memoirs. But still, I love looking through the pitiful shelves at the local WM.

But today. The little book stand that is usually by the shoe department was gone. So I headed over to the big book section, and there it was. Stock had been rotated, and I was floored.

My local WM had Sisters Red on the shelf. And the paperback of Shiver. And Hush, Hush, Fallen, Carrie Ryan's incredible The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and so many more. Modern, hit YA novels that the blogosphere has gone crazy for.

I was overjoyed. Some people may have qualms about WM selling books, and to some extent I understand, but...

The kids YA novels are aimed at? We're poor. We really want to read these gorgeous hardcovers, with their silky-soft covers, but we don't have much money. It is very attractive to see a $20 book on sale at WM for 30% off. Very attractive indeed. If I had bought Sisters Red, Fallen, and Hush, Hush at an indie bookstore and paid full-price, it would have cost me over $60. At WM, it cost me $48. And I also bought a drink.

Just sayin'.

Anyway, I am not expecting Hush, Hush and Fallen to be any good. Basically every blogger I trust has had major problems with them. But I'm a glutton for punishment apparently.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for participating in imm! you've got some great books! and what a fantastic start to your blog! good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete