Saturday, June 19, 2010

Thoughts on Dirty Little Secrets

As a horrified but morbidly fascinated fan of the TV show Hoarders, I was really, really stoked to read this book. I always wondered about the inner lives of the kids of the people on that show, and what it was like to be one of them. Plus the situation of this novel is somewhat similar to the premise of my current WIP.

All that, and a gorgeous cover? I was desperate to get my paws on Dirty Little Secrets.

It did not disappoint.

I mean... wow. This book really puts your emotions through a wringer. I just ached for Lucy, the main character. Her situation is truly unimaginable. I can't really say much for fear of spoiling. Trust me, though, this book is emotionally absorbing. The writing is really good, too.

The main thing that impressed me about Omololu's writing was the scope. Dirty Little Secrets essentially takes place over one day, with some flashbacks mixed in. It was truly incredible how the author put everything under the microscope. No event, no item in Lucy's disaster of a house, is without significance. I only realized that it had only been about a day in novel-land when I was at the end. Lucy's world is amazingly vivid.

The best part of this novel was Lucy's growth. Again, can't say much, but I will say that the choices this character makes are unimaginable, and it takes a writer of incredible strength to successfully create such a dynamic character.

And the ending!

You guys, you have to read this one. 5/5. Favourite book of 2010 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment