Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lazy Sunday

YA author Hannah Moskowitz has a post here all about rules. Rules of writing, that is. All those things you hear from editors, agents, and fellow writers about what you should and shouldn't do. It's a very good post, I recommend taking a look.

Anyway, it got me thinking about my own writing rules, and what does and doesn't work for me. A lot of the NaNoWriMo rules work wonders for me, like write-fast-don't-edit-as-you-go. During November I always turn into a crazy writing machine, and it feels so good and I just lovelovelove it. So I guess I really produce under pressure. Also, I've learned that I'm a really competitive writer - competitive with myself. I LOVE wordcounts. I keep my wordcount visible at all times as I'm writing. It's thrilling to see it go up with every few keys typed. Especially when I fall into a bit of a spell and the words are just melting off my fingers and then, holy crap, I've written six hundred words in like three minutes.

I write a thousand words a day, minimum, these days. At night. I'm just not a morning writer, even though it seems that everyone else is. For me mornings are for menial tasks like eating breakfast and running a few quick errands. Or going to work. I write between 10pm and midnight or so, whenever those 1,000 words are finished. Which is what I should be doing right now.

Hee hee. I'm going to go get those numbas upppp.

No comments:

Post a Comment