Friday, November 26, 2010

Music time!

KT posted this little iTunes shuffle game and I just love doing stuff like this :)

Open your iTunes. Turn it on shuffle. And write down the first 15 songs that come up.

I'm cheating a bit, because there are definitely songs on my iTunes that I hate/don't care about/don't want to share with you guys! And KT said it's okay to cheat!

Here's my random 15:

1. A Little Piece - The Jezabels
I discovered this song last week when it was on the soundtrack for this amazing video. It has a larger-than-life sound, perfect for what I've been writing this week.

2. The Old Apartment - The Barenaked Ladies
I love, love, love The Barenaked Ladies. They have such an iconic sound, and all of their songs are so evocative of Vancouver, my home city. Anytime I hear their music on the radio it reminds me of home. "The Old Apartment" is especially like that, totally has that Vancouver sound. Also, it reminds me of my own feelings for the place I used to live - I really wish I could break in and see what the new people did with it, even though I know it would make me really sad. But yeah, this song totally has that rainy city feeling.

3. Oh Comely - Neutral Milk Hotel
Oh, crap. This song had to come up, didn't it? Neutral Milk Hotel is fantastic, very unconventional and strange but I could (and have) listened to their album In An Aeroplane Over the Sea on repeat. "Oh Comely" is haunting, slightly disturbing song. Don't quote me on this, but I'm quite sure it's about Anne Frank. That's what I imagine it's about, anyway. But it's totally haunting and powerful when that's the context you use to think about it. My favourite line, and probably the creepiest, is "50 years later I wish I could save her in some kind of time machine."

4. Into Your Arms - The Maine
This song is a complete 180 from "Oh Comely" - it's bubbly and fun and romantic and doesn't take a lot of thinking about. Still pretty and nice though. Actually very good to write to. Plus the guys in the band are gorgeous!

5. Air Dry - Teddy Geiger
One of my favourite songs from one of my favourite artists! Teddy kind of fell of the edge of the earth, I think he was supposed to have another album out but it kept getting pushed back or something - but his first album is still perfectly great to listen to. This particular song is underrated and adorable!

6. I Woke Up In A Car - Something Corporate
Favourite band ever. Not my ultimate favourite song by them, but it's a good introduction to them.

7. Tell 'Em - Sleigh Bells
Totally random electronic/rock. I actually really like it though. Super fun to drive around town to!

8. Kiss Me When You Come Home - Hanson
Other favourite band ever. This is off their newest album, Shout It Out, and it mixes piano and gospel choir-esque harmonies with rock. Loooove.

9. 1984 - Anaïs Mitchell
Creepy, creepy, creepy George Orwell-inspired song by an under-appreciated singer-songwriter. She opened for one of my favourite artists when I saw her last year, and Anaïs stole the show!

10. Could I Be Your Girl - Jann Arden
Love me some 90s girl rock. This song is the best.

11. Only Ashes - Something Corporate
My favourite thing about Something Corporate is that they can be rebellious punks on one song ("If U C Jordan") and they can sing melancholy, heart-wrenching rock ballads like "Only Ashes."

12. A Journey to the Past - Anastasia Soundtrack
I adore animated movie soundtracks, and this song is particularly beautiful.

13. Beauty in the Breakdown - The Scene Aesthetic
If FAKE were a movie, this song would definitely be on the soundtrack. As it is it's featured prominently on the FAKE playlist in my iTunes. I love the singer's voice. So emo but so gorgeous.

14. Musical Ride - Hanson
Another Hanson song off the new album. When I saw them live in September they said they wrote this song for the people who had supported and loved their music since the beginning, so I can't help but feel that I have some ownership in this song.

15. As Long As You Love Me - The Backstreet Boys
1990s pop FTW!


And there you have it! :) This was fun. Thanks to KT for the idea!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So fun! Can't wait to listen to these and add some to my music collection. I've got a few already by some of the artists listed, but most of them I haven't heard of. Music rocks :)

    ReplyDelete