The oh-so-awesome Christine Taylor over at The Writer Coaster has given me the Seriously Cute Blogger Award! Yay! Thanks, Christine. Your kind words about me and my blog are much appreciated!
Okay, that puppy is like, the sweetest thing ever.
To accept the award, I have to list five books/movies/TV shows I've watched in the past 12 months.
1) I read Beauty Queens by Libba Bray last month and oh my gosh is it ever awesome. I bought it thinking "Oh, yeah, this should definitely be in my TBR pile, I'll get to it sometime" but I ended up starting it that same day and finishing it really quickly. It was surprisingly deep, and the satirical elements were spot-on. I found myself laughing out loud and reading passages to my mom, too, which is definitely the sign of something special. Plus -- OMG -- there were no unhealthy relationships or passive females! And there was a romance with a trans character! And sexy pirates! Whooohooo!
2) For movies, the best thing I've seen lately is the Bollywood comedy 3 Idiots. It was an impulse watch, my family just found it on the Video on Demand and thought it sounded interesting, so it was really fun to watch it with no preconceptions. It was hilarious! I absolutely love foreign films because they bring such unique humour and situations -- Hollywood can become monotonous. Definitely recommend 3 Idiots if you're looking for a quirky, weird, and touching comedy.
3) I don't watch a heck of a lot of TV, but when I do, I watch British murder mystery shows. Midsomer Murders is my favourite TV show at the moment, as well as Heartbeat and, of course, Agatha Christie's Poirot. Either British murder mysteries, or old people shows like The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart, or Antiques Roadshow. What can I say, I'm an old soul. More like geriatric soul.
4) Another book! I read Divergent by Veronica Roth a little while back, and I really, really enjoyed it. Dystopian isn't always my thing, and the book is pretty daunting (get it?) and huge, but I blew through it in two days. Although it kind of felt like mostly set-up for the sequel, I found I really loved the main character, Tris. Her struggle with selfishness and her discovery that it's okay to be selfish sometimes really spoke to me. I'm definitely going to pick up the sequel, Insurgent, when it's out.
5) I haven't read this book yet, but I would kill to and I just need a moment to squee about it... OMG THE FAULT IN OUR STARS SQUEEEEEEEEEILOVEJOHNGREEN.
...I'm a little excited.
Okay, now I get to pass the award on! I'm supposed to pick five bloggers to give it to, but to be honest I'm a little pressed for time and I can only think of one blogger right now who deserves it!
Aaronni @ Simply Aaronni!
Her blog is so cute and it's really fun to read how excited she is to be writing, editing, and starting her query-go-round. I met her on Absolute Write and I think she's awesome! Go check her out!