Friday, July 15, 2011

Deathly Hallows, Part 2

I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 last night, at midnight. Because I'm just so whacky and crazy, I went in my pyjamas. The small-town movie theatre was packed with teenagers I'm now too old to have gone to high school with, but there were a few people I graduated with who were home for the summer.

I'm still trying to put this movie into words, and I don't really think I can. I kind of already went through the angst of "Oh my god no more Harry Potter" when the seventh book came out, so there was less of that feeling for me. Movies are almost never as good as the books, and that is definitely true in this case. Still... a lot of this movie pulled me apart at the seams. The death of Snape, one of my favourite fictional characters of all time. Snape's memories and reasons for every action he took over the course of the series. His doe Patronus.

The ghosts of Harry's loved ones surrounding him before he took that last step to meet his enemy.

I cried. A lot. The whole theatre did. There was utter silence, punctuated by sniffles and sobs people tried to stifle but couldn't.

Just thinking of finding a way to summarize all my feelings about this experience makes me freeze up. I just can't do. These books, these movies, these stories have been a part of my life now for eleven years, and to have another piece of the Harry Potter world wrap up is very hard. Because I can't say it any better, I'll leave you with the words of one of my random airhead Facebook friends:


"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

3 comments:

  1. Same here. Although there was some laughter too! Like at the Neville moments, and at Voldemort's mad awkward hug. :P

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yes! The awkward hug was pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete