Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Thoughts on Cracked Up to Be


I've decided that I'm too cool and awesome to stick to the review criteria I made up a while back. If I'm going to do reviews, which I really want to do more of, I need to have a looser and more free-flowing way to do them.

And so I present to you, my review of Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers.

Well, I kind of bought this book on a whim while I was on a road trip about three weeks ago. I was already buying a few things from my wish list, and wanted one more book to round out the purchase. So I saw Courtney Summers' debut on the shelf and nabbed it because I'd heard a lot of good things about it.

It wasn't the book I was most desperate to read out of the three I bought, but after reading the first page, I was sucked in. I ended up devouring the whole book in one and a half days. It really is a page-turner, and I loved the narrator's voice. She's so snarky and awesome.

However... she is a very mean girl! Her relationships with pretty much everyone were so mangled. While this is good respite from the sugary-sweet YA girl narrators you get sometimes, I just found it to be kind of overload. She was downright rude a lot of the time.

For the most part Courtney Summers' writing was phenomenal, though.

The only problem I really had with the book was the "why" of the plot. I kept turning the pages, wanting a fantastic revelation about everything going on - and it never really came. It's a mystery, there's something about a missing girl... but I still don't really understand exactly what happened. I think it needs rereading, but still. If the main resolution isn't clear at the end of one reading, something's kind of wrong.

But for the most part this was a very entertain read, with really good characters. Especially Jake. I'm a Jake fan for sure.

I'm going to give it a 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment